Monday, March 14, 2011

The End of Jane Eyre

The ending of Jane Eyre was surprising in some ways but very interesting. first off, it was really weird that the house Jane ended up at was that of her cousins. I mean, that house has been that close to Thornfield the entire time and she never heard of these people? I don't know, I thought it was kind of odd. But Jane didn't stay long. I kind of figured that Jane would end up going back to Thornfield to see Rochester because she loved him too much to just leave and never think about him again. It was the circumstances that she returned that surprised me. I did not see it coming when I found out that Bertha got out of her cage and decided to burn down the whole house. I knew she was capable of doing something that crazy, but I just didn't expect her to set fire to Thornfield. In the process of the house burning down, Rochester went blind and lost a hand. I thought that was kind of weird to add into the story because it didn't really have a purpose for being there. So that partially sums up the rest of the book. I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and thought it was good.

3 comments:

  1. There actually is a purpose to it. Rochester is described many times throughout the book as strong and masculine and he takes pride in having that strength and vigor. He values his so called "moral" and "physical" strength. But when he loses the physical aspects that made him so strong and proud, he has to humble himself. He also has to look inwardly and realize that now that his physical characteristics are stripped away from him, he has to work on bettering his character. In the end, his loss of sight and strength turns him to Christianity and makes him even more grateful for Jane's return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the summary you made. I wasn't planning on reading the rest of the book, let's be honest. I now understand why there was a motif of fire throughout the book. It was a foreshadow of what was going to happen later. That's too bad that he ended up blind. In the movie he said that Jane's love made him see again. I don't think that's really possible.. but it's cute for a fiction book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the end of the book too, and the twists of fate like ending up at her cousins were weird. Also the supernatural seems to grow to play a larger role with her hearing rochester's voice over thousands of miles, weird.

    ReplyDelete