Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wrongs of Passage

After reading Sydney's view on the different rites of passage we experience, I do agree with her. I think for it to be considered a rite of passage, someone needs to have that separation stage followed by a transition and then be incorporated back into society as a "new" person. Rites of passage should give value to something and bring people together, but our idea of these passages revolve too much around the money and extravagent things. We need to get the focus back on the values that everyone should have.

One rite of passage that I've recently gone through was turning 18. I'm not sure if this was really a positive or negative thing. Honestly, it was just another day. The only difference is that I am now legally responsible for my actions and I realize that it is on my back and my parents aren't going to accept those responsibilities or consequences anymore, it's all on me. That was really the only big change for me. Other than that, not a whole lot is different. I didn't have some huge party or do anything major.

No comments:

Post a Comment